Tax Collector for the Town of Westerly, RI.
“A Positive, Exemplary Community”
Starting Salary: $60,000 - $70,000
The Tax Collector's Office is responsible for collecting Real Estate Tax, Personal Property Tax, Motor Vehicle Tax, Water and Sewer payments. We also sell town beach passes seasonally (May - September) and process Municipal Lien Certificates.
The Tax Collector’s Office is comprised of 4 staff. The Tax Collector, Accounts Receivable Coordinator and two Tax Clerks..
Reporting to the Director of Finance, this position is responsible for the collection, care and custody of all revenues, accounting records on taxes and assessments.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate is a professional who is open, honest, of strong moral character, promotes transparency, and has excellent interpersonal and communication skills. The ideal candidate must have the ability to analyze problems, identify solutions, make recommendations, encourage a creative, balanced approach to solving challenges – the ideal candidate asks how we can, not why we can’t.
Qualifications Education, Experience and Skills
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree in finance, business administration, accounting or a related field.
- Have extensive knowledge in the principles and practices of collection and four (4) years of experience in in tax billing and collections, bookkeeping, banking and cash reconciliation
- Membership in the Rhode Island Tax Collector’s Association (RITCA) is desired and will be required within one year of hire.
- Have expert knowledge in collection concepts and practices. Expert knowledge in Rhode Island (or other State) regulations, laws, practices and procedures in tax collection.
- Have a record of innovation, addressing policy issues creatively and with an entrepreneurial spirit, and with a view toward synergies with other departments and stakeholders.
- Process strong presentation skills with the ability to convey complex and technical information to elected officials, stakeholder groups, and Town staff.
- Be an effective communicator, orally and in writing, and possess strong negotiation skills.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary for this at will position will be between $60,000 - $70,000, dependent upon qualifications. Additionally, the selected candidate will enjoy excellent benefits including vacation, medical insurance, life insurance, paid holidays, and retirement benefits. The Town currently contributes 10% of salary (with a 6% match) to a 401(a) retirement plan.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply by October 31, 2016. Electronic submittals are required and can be sent to HR@westerly.org and should include the following:
- Compelling cover letter
- Comprehensive resume
- Expected salary range
A comprehensive interview process is expected to occur in November and it is anticipated a selection will be made in December. Top candidates may be asked to complete a written supplemental questionnaire to elaborate on areas of expertise and demonstrate their ability to communicate effectively.